Registration Information - LMHA Female Hockey
In the 2018-19 season, LMHA implemented a Pilot Registration Process for female members. Female hockey membership in LMHA, and in neighbouring MHAs, continues to grow. Taking into consideration the successes/challenges of last year's pilot and female membership projections, we have established a slightly different registration process for females in the 2019-20 season.
Resident Athletes (females residing within Leduc MHA boundaries):
Import Athletes (females from outside Leduc's MHA boundary whose Resident MHA does not have a female team in her age division)
- In accordance with LMHA policy, all returning Leduc resident female athletes are expected to register by July 1 and will be subject to the $200 late registration fee.
- Until July 1, only Resident Athletes should register in LMHA.
- LMHA females have until August 16 to make a change in their registration re: choosing female or co-ed. Any female making a change from her original registration will be subject to (or refunded) the $50 evaluation fee associated with co-ed evaluations.
- Import athletes who played in LMHA in 2018-19 must return to their Resident Association. Unless an athlete has been given permanent release from her Resident Association, her transfer is only in place for one season. The Player Movement process must be followed every year.
- Import athletes will not be subject to the late registration fee and are not required to register by July 1.
- As of July 2, registration will open to import athletes.
- Import players are required to complete Hockey Alberta's Minor Player Movement Form (link provided) including appropriate signature from her Resident MHA. The Accepting MHA section of this form should not be completed until confirmation of Team Selection. https://www.hockeyalberta.ca/uploads/source/Forms/Player_Movement_Process_%26_Form_2019-2020_with_Form_Fields.pdf
- 'Import females' are only eligible to transfer into Leduc for female hockey. Some exceptions may apply.
- Hockey Alberta indicates that females seeking a minor female team should transfer to the next closest Association (that has available space on a roster on a team in her age division), as measured by government roadway.
- Leduc's female team selections will be made after August 16 by LMHA's Team Selection/Player Evaluation Committee and announced during the week of August 18.
- LMHA maximum team size: 17 skaters + 2 goalies (exception Novice)
- Females who reside within Leduc MHA boundaries will have registration priority up to August 16.
- Team selection will be announced during the week of August 18, allowing all athletes who will not be playing in LMHA sufficient time to make alternate plans.
- Team selection is NOT based solely on a 'first come first registered' basis.
- Team selection will take into consideration:
- proximity to Leduc and to other Associations with female teams in respective age divisions
- opportunity & suitability to overage/underage athletes within LMHA female teams
- Team selection may take into consideration:
- chronological order of registration
- prior history playing in LMHA
- other circumstances.
Based on projections, it is possible that some age divisions of Leduc female teams may have more than enough for one team but not enough for two. Should this be the case, the first 17 Resident skaters registered in female hockey and the first 2 Resident goalies registered in female hockey will be given first right of refusal to remain with the female team. Others will be offered the opportunity to play co-ed or transfer out to the next closest association that has roster space a female team in their age division, or possibly overage/underage.
It is advised that if a girl is only interested in playing female hockey in LMHA, that she should register as early as possible to ensure her spot on the roster.
In the coming years, this registration process will continue to evolve in pursuit of the best way to support female hockey growth in Leduc and surrounding region. We thank you for your patience and understanding. Questions regarding the registration process can be directed to LMHA Female Recruitment Coordinator, Sterling Critchley email@example.com